WINGERS Martin Skelly and Shaun Grundy were in deadly form as OPMs beat city rivals Plympton Victoria

WINGERS Martin Skelly and Shaun Grundy were in deadly form as OPMs beat city rivals Plympton Victoria 68-3 at King George V Playing Fields.

The duo scored eight of the Old Boys’ 12 tries on Saturday, with Skelly bagging five and Grundy three.

Grundy actually had a hat-trick within 18 minutes as the hosts made a blistering start.

OPMs scored seven of their tries within the first 30 minutes. Their other five came in the final 18 minutes.

The other 32 minutes of the game belonged to Plym Vic but they could only manage one penalty for their efforts. They were missing the influence of top scorer Sam Stockdale in attack.

The scoreline was tough on Plym Vic, but OPMs were in clinical form. Their scrum impressed and that gave them the platform to build from in the first half.

“Fair play to them (Plym Vic) they kept making their tackles and we had to work hard,” said OPMs captain Henry Matthews.

“We are really pleased with that because we played into the wind first half and played with structure, which is also what we did last week (against St Columba & Torpoint). This week, though, we did maintain it a bit better in the second half.

“At the start of the second half we did let them back into the game a bit but we were really pleased with our defence.

OPMs’ first try came within the first two minutes. They pushed Plym Vic off a scrum and then went wide quickly where Grundy was waiting on the right to power down the wing and score.

Plym Vic instantly went up the other end and got a penalty but they missed it and their hosts made them pay with Grundy crossing for his second and Sam Matts converting.

Skelly then got his first of the afternoon on 12 minutes when Plym Vic let a clearing kick bounce and it fell into the hands of OPMs’ prolific winger who ran in to score.

Grundy’s power then got him his hat-trick before Matthews, who started at fly-half, crossed for number five three minutes later after good play by Sean Lewis.

Almost straight from the restart, Skelly crossed for number six before adding another seven minutes later.

But suddenly Plym Vic found a way back into the game. Mike Hagan kicked a penalty for them as they finished the half strongly.

They then dominated the opening 20 minutes of the second period but just could not get the try they deserved.

And against the run of play Skelly claimed his fourth on 62 minutes. That try opened the floodgates again and three minutes later Matts scored on the right.

In the final six minutes, Skelly, Simon Bray and Billy Garratt also crossed for further tries.

Story by Plymouth Sports Gazette